- Specialized Family Care has been in place since 1981.
- There are over 270 Specialized Family Care Providers statewide. More provider homes are needed across the state.
- Over 230 Specialized Family Care Providers have at least one person in placement.
- Approximately 94 families provide services on a part-time or temporary basis (like weekends or evenings) to a person who lives with their natural family or in another SFC home.
- There are approximately 40 children in placement in SFC homes across the state.
- The average age of the SFC Providers is 56 years old.
- One person has been in placement with the same family for over 30 years.
- Over 100 people have been in placement with the same family for 10 years or more.
- The Specialized Family Care Program is one of the community-based services that were developed to aid in the movement to de-institutionalize. It became a viable housing option for those individuals.